Sunday 27 July 2014

MEDICAL UPDATE
Sunday July 27, 2104

It’s been a mixed month with some good days and some bad days.     Fatigue is something I have faced pretty much every day which is hard for a pedal to the metal kind of guy like me but it is just something you can’t do anything about.    Life is like that and you either roll with the punches or drive yourself crazy.    Most days I’m good from about 7am - 3pm and then take a bit of a rest.
 
I have not had Chemotherapy since July 4.     We were able to schedule a break so that Wendy and I could take a couple of weeks vacation.    We were able to get away to the East Coast for an enjoyable trip though there were some rough days and on a couple of occasions we considered aborting the trip.
 
Once we returned to Toronto I had a very helpful Doctors appointment at Princes Margaret Hospital on Tuesday July 22.       Dr. Natalie Cook is very thorough and helpful in answering questions and helping us understand what is happening with my body.     She was able to give us the report from the Bone Scan I had and it is confirmed that the cancer has spread to my hip and one of my vertebra.     That, of course, was not good news.     Apparently it is very rare with this type of cancer for it to spread to the bone.    Of course I always have to do things the hard way.    I also found out that it is very rare with this kind of cancer to lose your hair but I’ve managed to do that too.     At first I really found myself being self-conscious about being bald and kept my cap on most of the time.    But you know, life will throw you curves and you can’t do one thing about it.     There are things in life, like getting cancer and going bald, that you can’t do anything about.    So rather than fight it I decided to embrace the baldness and sport Kojak look.      It’s happening whether I like it or not.      As I always said to my kids, "It’s not what happens to you but what happens in you that makes the difference."      Attitude is everything.
 
Each time they have measured the Cancer Markers in my body they have been down which means the cancer is decreasing in its activity but none the less still active.    Dr. Cook, however, seemed to be pleased that the markers were down and indicated that it would be months before we would have to worry about the effects of the disease having significant impact.     That does not mean, however, there are not complications as my body fights the disease and the chemotherapy.

 
Fatigue will be an increasing problem as will the pain from the bone cancer.    I’m not big on taking pain killers but have been taking Tylenol on some days to ease the pain a bit.     One of the main problems I’ve had has been a hacking cough that leaves me short of breath and which is often accompanied by a fever.     Once my temperature reaches 101ºf I am to go to Hospital Emergency in case there is an infection somewhere.    Dr. Cook has determined that there is an infection that has to be aggressively dealt with so the Chemo for this past Friday was cancelled so that the this infection could be treated with Steroids and Antibiotics.

 
Like I said, there are good days and bad days and I am thankful that God seems to give me special strength on Sundays so that I can continue to have the joy of preaching God’s Word to our congregation.     When you see me in public you may be fooled by my appearance because I seek to carry myself well and not whine too much or draw attention to myself. However, this disease continues to rage through my body and a Divine healing from God is the only thing that will keep me in this world so we covet your fervent and constant prayers.    
 
Our family continues to trust God with a rock solid faith knowing that He is good and though we certainly hope for a miracle know that failing that God has given us the incredible promise of Heaven and seeing Him face to face.     May I encourage you, that in whatever circumstance you find yourself, trust in God’s faithfulness to see you through and His incredible promises of eternity with Him.
 
Pastor Rick

6 comments:

  1. Brother Rick, trusting God is all we have, but it is EVERYTHING we need.

    (Finally got to see the real you without all those fancy haircuts you used to get.) God bless you and Wendy and family -- one day at a time.
    In His Unyielding Grip, Ken Godevenos

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Rick, Was preaching on Psalm 88 today and entitled it: A light for a dark place. The psalmist thinks that there is no hesed in Sheol but the psalmist in 139 reminds him that even in Sheol God is present and in the midst of the darkness it is not darkness to him! Love you Brother! Praying! Shalom, Steve Dempster

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bro Rick
    I would have never thought that you and Mike Horseman looked so much alike. Blessings my dear Brother and Sister we keep praying for God to do
    something that only He can do.

    Harold and VI Sparkes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to agree with Harold Sparkes that you certainy look like Mike right now. Continuing to pray for God's work within you both physically and spiritually. You are an encouragement and inspiration to others. Thanks for the update. Blessings, Heather Goodwin

    ReplyDelete
  5. that last paragraph is a sermon in itself, Rick :) It is not only your kids you have taught "It's not what happens to you......" but also your brothers and sisters in Christ and you are living it out :) Take care.....praying for you all

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name will be unfamiliar but we attended Parkway many years ago. (35+) We were saved, baptized and discipled in your church and have Parkway to thank for our eternal destination. We receive updates from Ron and Marilyn Nixon so have appreciated reading your recent blogs. They are very real and transparent and are a blessing. Thank you. Each morning my husband and I read Oswald Chamber's "My Utmost For His Highest" for our devotional reading. Today's message was very encouraging for your situation so wanted to share with you. The verse was "Behold, He is coming with clouds..." In the Bible clouds are always associated with God. Clouds are the sorrow, sufferings, or providential circumstances, within or without our personal lives, which actually seem to contradict the sovereignity of God. Yet it is through these very clouds that the Spirit of God is teaching us how to walk by faith. If there were never any clouds in our lives, we would have no faith. "The clouds are the dust of His feet" (Nahum 1:3). They are a sign that God is there. What a revelation it is to know that sorrow, bereavement, and suffering are actually the clouds that come along with God! God cannot come near us without clouds--He does not come in clear-shining brightness. I know this reading is not new to you but perhaps will bring some comfort when you are weary.

    Thank you for blessing others through your challenges.

    Warmest Regards,
    Marg Pollon

    P.S. It is also because Parkway that Bridges of Love Ministry was birthed ten years ago to reconnect the Church with the Community. Since we attended Parkway we have not seen another church doing unreach into their community.

    ReplyDelete