Friday 4 January 2013

RENEWING YOUR SPIRITUAL PASSION

Getting Spiritually Fit In The New Year # 3

 
As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy." (1 Peter 1:14-16)
We live in a world that does not know how to be ashamed of our sin.   It is a world where sin is proudly displayed on TV and lived out before our eyes.    According to surveys by George Barna and others the lifestyles of professing believers in North America is not significantly different than that of unbelievers.

In contrast, our God is a holy God. He is very sensitive to sin. Sin is completely contrary to His character. John says, " This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth (1 John 1:5-6).

A holy God calls His people to be a holy people, set apart for Him.    He says, "As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy." (1 Peter 1:14-16)

When we walk close to God we will be sensitive to sin even as He is.    One of the ways you can evaluate your spiritual passion is by examining your sensitivity to sin.    Today’s questions is designed to help you do that.


Am I Sensitive To Sin In My Life ?

When the Holy Spirit is in control, we will be sensitive to sin in our lives. Psalm 51 is David’s prayer of repentance when he realized his sin.   We live in a culture that is very insensitive to sin. God’s people are people of holiness.

• Am I sensitive to sin in my life or have I allowed yourself to be desensitized by the culture around me?


• Do I keep short accounts with God and regularly confess my sin by name?

• Are my words, thoughts, deeds and entertainment honouring and pleasing to God

• Am I willing to give up all sin for God?

 
Prayer: Lord, I confess my sin of .... Make me sensitive to your Spirit. Deliver me from temptation.

Take some time to think about this.    Ask the Holy Spirit to be your guide.    You need His help lest you become so introspective that you produce artificial guilt and discourage yourself.

At the other end, some of us have been so influenced by the culture around us that we don’t easily see our own sin.    If you have a trusted friend or accountability partner you might want to ask them what they see in your life that might not be pleasing to God.    Be careful though not to be defensive and write off what they might say.    If they point to something, honestly go before God and ask Him to show you His mind on the thing.

When you become aware of some specific sin then confess it before God specifically and by name.   Don't be general and say, "Lord I confess my sin to you," rather say "Lord, I confess my sin of ....... to you."     Confess it and recognize His forgiveness.   Trust Him when He promises,  "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness "(1 John 1:9).  
You are not looking to be a legalist here of just keeping rules.    Sin in our lives indicates there is something wrong with our relationship with our Holy God.    Our goal in renewing our spiritual passion is to maximize our walk with and enjoyment of God.     Such holy lives brings Him great glory.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment