Friday 8 February 2013

Something Is Missing

Something is missing.    It’s missing from the church. It’s missing from the normal Christian experience.    There is Something Desperately Missing from modern Christianity.    There is a spot deep within our souls that is hungry and not being fed. There is a place in our hearts that is thirsty, and no one gives us to drink.    There is a naked corner of our spirits that no one offers to clothe.

Something is missing and that something is a genuine, vital, fresh spiritual communion with the living God of the universe.    Our Christianity has become stale.    Though we have more resources and opportunities than ever before, many Christians finding modern Christianity dull, boring, and un-fulfilling. Where is the power?    Where is the reality.    Many of us have become what the Apostle Paul described as, "always learning but never able to a knowledge of the truth.     So we go looking for one more Bible Study, one more Seminar, one more book that promises the short cut or the secret to spiritual fulfillment.    One more quick fix that is never realized.


But, there is increasing numbers of people whose lives are marked by a growing hunger, not for more religion, not for more Christian activity but after God Himself.    They are eager for spiritual realities and will not be put off with words, nor will they be content with correct "interpretations" of truth as important as that may be.    They are athirst for God, and they will not be satisfied till they have drunk deep at the Fountain of Living Water.

Let me tell you that the reality of Christianity is not in church, it’s not in psychology nor in counseling, it’s not in material comfort, it’s not in religious service, and its not in endless Christian activity.     The satisfaction of your soul and the reality of Christianity is in the passionate pursuit of God himself.    It’s not in knowing about God or in what God can do for you, but in God Himself.

Let me ask you, are you in a passionate pursuit of God Himself?    I ask myself, am I in a passionate pursuit of God?    It’s so easy to get caught up in the busyness of daily life or even of ministry and actually miss God.    I remember being in the presence of a well known Christian leader who was just resigning as President of one of the most influential Chrisitan colleges in the world.     He said the one thing he was looking forward to was more time in the Word and with God to rekindle his soul and his passion for God.     Time not spent preparing to preach, but time spent with God for the enjoyment and the glory of God Himself.

The Psalmist expresses it so powerfully when he says, "My soul follows hard after You: Your right hand upholds me."2     My heart resonates with his words, "As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God ...." 3      When I sing the song based on those words, by heart is inspired and moved, "Oh God, I long for you like a deer that’s been running from the wild dogs longs for a refreshing drink from the mountain streams.     If only my life could slow down long enough.   If I could just escape the hounds of busyness."    Somehow, you and I have to escape the hounds of busyness and seek the face of God lest we miss the best God has to offer.    We long for it. We must have it. Our souls are parched.     Our spirits are dry.     There is nothing, absolutely nothing that we need more than to drink at the springs of living water.

The Apostle Paul understood the importance of pursuing God Himself and realized that everything else, absolutely everything else was second best.
But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.    8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ    9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith—

10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,     11 that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,    

14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 4


TO PASSIONATELY PURSUE GOD, AND TO KNOW HIM


IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PURSUIT IN LIFE.

NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT.



1   2 Timothy 3:7
2  Psalm 63:8   (Hayden paraphrase)  
3  Psalm 42:1-2  
4  Philippians 3:7-14

No comments:

Post a Comment