Sunday 2 March 2014

You Never Know What
A Week Can Bring
When you wake up on Monday morning you never know what the week will bring.    This week our family experienced the shock of a life time.    I had a Ultra Sound scheduled for Monday morning and by Friday afternoon I had been diagnosed with Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer with a life expectancy of about 6 months.    Obviously our family has been on a roller coaster ride of emotions, disbelief and confusion.   
I will be hopefully seeing an Oncologist this coming week to see what the options are.   This is going to be a journey like none other fraught with all sorts of unknowns, spiritual lessons and trials.     God does not abandon us in times like this, nor has He promised that we would not experience them.    Because my experience and what God teaches me through this might be helpful to others I will try to journal this journey both for the benefit of others and because it will be good therapy for me.     I'm thinking Mondays and Thursdays or Fridays I'll post something about the Journey we are experiencing.   
Today,  I preached from Luke 7:35-50 on what it means to love Jesus.    I left church immediately after the service and the following statement was read to our beloved congregation.    We are so blessed to have them at our side during a time like this.

March 1, 2014

Dear Parkway Family:
God has given me the pleasure of being your Pastor for these past 13 years. You have welcomed Wendy and I and our family with open arms. You are our church family and we love you all very, very, much. You know how hard we have worked and served among you for the cause of Christ and His people here at Parkway. Like Paul, we can say with sincerity, " So, being affectionately desirous of you, we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us (1 Thessalonians 2:8).
But now it is apparent that we are in a season when we must call on our church family to support and hold us up.
As many of you know I have been feeling unusually tired since just before Christmas.    On a Doctors advice we went away to Florida a little earlier this month for some rest. Returning home and still feeling tired, I thought perhaps I had a bacterial infection that would require some antibiotics and I’d be as good as new. Such has not turned out to be the case.   Following a visit to our family Doctor on our return from Florida he ordered an Ultra Sound which I had on Monday of this past week.   That Ultra Sound revealed significant cancer on my liver, spleen and left kidney. He immediately scheduled me for a CT Scan which I had this past Thursday.
By Friday noon, the verdict was in. It has been confirmed that I have Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer.   The Pancreas is the primary site and the cancer has metastasized to the other organs.   Pancreatic Cancer is fast moving and deadly.   Apart from a miracle of God there is no cure and from this point, life expectancy is no more than 6 months.
We have not yet seen an Oncologist but hope to this coming week.   They will be able to give us a better take on exactly where we are in the disease and what if any treatment I should have.   Needless to say, this is a huge shock to our family and there are so many things swirling around in our heads at this time as we seek to come to grips with what is before us.
We are confident that the same God who has lead us all these years is the same God who will lead us in the frightful days ahead.   We remain steadfast in our faith in the goodness, the greatness and the loving care of our God.   We have many unanswered questions about what lies before us.    Though we do not know the answers to these questions we know to whom to take them.   He is our rock, our fortress, our strong tower to whom we run. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling (Psalm 46:1-3).

Right now we are numbed. We are simply allowing ourselves to feel the grief, the fear, the uncertainty with full confidence that we are in the Father’s care.    In the next few days and weeks we will need to make many decisions about Wendy’s future and regarding Amy and Tim.   I will need to know if it is advisable for me to make a planned trip to Cuba March 12-26 to say good bye to our friends and ministry partners there etc. etc.
We would appreciate your love, your hugs, and certainly your prayers.   You are our extended family and we know you will be there for us.   We do not want to burden you with our troubles but knowing your loving hearts we know you want to walk with us through this dark journey.   We can all pray for Divine healing that perhaps God would grant us this for His glory.   Would you pray that God would help us walk through this journey in a way that exalts the Lord Jesus and that God would give us, especially Wendy and our children, sustaining grace for wherever the journey takes us.
As long as God allows me, I intend to continue loving and shepherding the flock of God here at Parkway Bible Church and praying that together God would allow us to fulfill the Great Commissions in seeing people saved and becoming disciples of Jesus Christ to the Glory of God. May God bless and sustain you all.
Because of Calvary
Pastor RickRev. Rick Hayden
Senior Pastor: Parkway Bible Church

15 comments:

  1. Pastor,
    Brad and I read your news with shock this evening and can imagine you, your family and all Parkway are still reeling. You have, in a sense, "been Parkway" for a long time.
    We prayed that God would heal you, but that whether He does or not, that His goodness to you would be seen in such a way that Parkway would be bonded together like never before.
    We pray for Jesus to bring comfort and strength in this new thing He is doing in your life and in your church. We will continue to pray for you.
    brad and sylvia thompson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Rick,

    WOW! Stunned! and feeling so deeply for you, Wendy and the children! The only comfort is knowing Jesus knows... and our caring loving Saviour knows what He is doing. We are thanking Him He is with you and reading your testimony of His strength and encouragement is reassuring knowing your trust is so firm and rooted in Him. You are such wonderful friends and partners in ministry... let us know what we can do. I will be in Toronto Tuesday and Thursday this week and would love to connect if your are able.

    With our deep love and commitment to praying for and with you.
    David, Ann, Stephen, Shaun and Carissa (Sparrow)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick, there are no words that I can offer that you haven't either heard or uttered. To say you and yours will remain in our thoughts and prayers may sound trivial; however, no less true.
    Rick, when given the news that my prostate cancer had metastasized, that my PSA score had soared to 149 from 85 in two weeks and given my denominational background, "faith healing" and being "prayed over" by someone with a proven track record of healings, did not leap to my Wesleyan front burner. At first, I rejected the idea since, as I understood God's healing, He only uses medical people to whom He has given the wisdom of medical science. Wrong!
    Really, I have fewer answers relative to this whole business of "faith healing" now than before I was healed. All I know is, I was humbled in the most loving and gentle manner that words can not describe ...the author of time took time to meet with me that day and I'll never be the same. Disclaimer: My experience DOES NOT make me in any way superior to your average "garden variety" Christian; HOWEVER, it sure brought ME closer to the Lord.
    If you would like to hear the "rest of the story", please give me your phone number and best time to call.
    U da man,my highly valued friend,
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rick,
    I have no words. Please know that I will be keeping you and your precious family in my prayers constantly. Your support in my life has meant more than you can know.

    Love you and your family lots,
    Wendy Peters

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Rick,
    We are so sorry to hear this. Heather and I will certainly be praying for you and Wendy and the family. I will take this to the church for prayer this week. We love you brother.
    Ken and Heather Davis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pastor Rick
    Thank you for all you have done and shown us all. With this horrible disease that takes to many, before we here are ready to let you go. You will be missed by so many, to many to count.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pastor Rick.....I'm lost for words to express how your news has rocked my world ,but then, I'm used to my world rocking!! I called my prayer partner, Mert Dow, we are in it for as long as it takes!! I will let all of SC Baptist know, and we will be praying!! Take heart, Rick, it won't be long and we will all be flying away!! Love, Barb Brown

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pastor Rick and Wendy:
    I don't know you personally but I will be praying for you both and your family on a daily basis....may God's will be done....God bless you both...Sylvia....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Rick and Wendy,

    I just read the agc news email and your pastoral letter to your congregation at Parkway. My heart is heavy for you and Wendy as you process this sudden and stunning news. So many questions and concerns crowd in our hearts. I will be praying for you, asking the Lord to both comfort and care for you. We can ask our Father for His healing touch and rest in His Fatherly wisdom and love. You are both dear servants of Christ and His Church.
    Warmly,

    Rick Reed (Heritage College and Seminary)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Pastor Rick - we have never met but you are pastor to 2 ladies who are very dear to my heart. The news of your cancer must be devastating and after reading about you and your family, I know you will draw strength from our Father in heaven. I'm not sure there are any words that anyone can say that really help but I just want to tell you that I will hold you and your family up in prayer. God bless you, Sir and may He hold you especially close to His heart during this time. Christian love and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Rick and Wendy
    I was deeply grieved upon hearing this tragic news. I pray that God will hold you both close, that you will feel His loving presence and peace each day. Be aware that hundreds of people (friends and those who have never met you) will be praying for you. Please let us know in what practical ways we can be of help to you. Marilynn Oosterhof

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Pastor Rick, my heart was immersed in a profound sadness when I heard the news, then the words of song reminded me who you are and whom you believe in. I pray for you and your family, for strength, for peace within the storm, for joy within your trials.

    Julio Troya



    No guilt in life, no fear in death—
    This is the pow'r of Christ in me;
    From life's first cry to final breath,
    Jesus commands my destiny.
    No pow'r of hell, no scheme of man,
    Can ever pluck me from His hand;
    Till He returns or calls me home—
    Here in the pow'r of Christ I'll stand.

    "In Christ Alone"
    Words and Music by Keith Getty & Stuart Townend

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Pastor Rick,

    We are holding you up and your family through prayer. We love you and are walking beside you praying for you. YOu encourage us to press on! From Seville, Spain we send our love to you and feel blessed to have met you a man who loves missions and a man who loves GOD!

    We love you,

    The Parra Family (Cesar and Mary, Rebecca, David and Samuel)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Rick, I knew you when you were a young boy in Moose Jaw. You were a great little kid and since then, Ed and my cousins Tom and Roma have kept me updated on your inspirational life story. It was such a pleasure to see you at Ed's 80th. My prayers are with you and your family. Donna (Read) Marlatte

    ReplyDelete
  15. dear p. rick.

    only a short while ago today, i heard the shocking news about your ill-health from our family friends, lloyd & joyce fenwick.

    i thereafter, went to the church website and quickly scanned over yr health issue and some of the other sermon notes and weekly study material that you diligently post, and will definitely be coming back to the site for a more in-depth read of all that you have painstakingly shared with us all. i stopped everything, and sent a heartfelt prayer up to GOD - that He who sees all things, give you the strength to bear and courage to face it until he quickly restores your body to optimum health! ... and i felt it in my heart, that HE IS going to cure you - you have much work to do here on earth, p. rick!

    u will likely not remember me... back in 2005/2006, i regularly attended PBC and was thankful not only for its close proximity to where i lived that enabled me to attend regularly while my husband worked his shift duties, but it was because i felt God's anointing upon your weekly sunday sermons that had me coming back for as long as i lived in the ellesmere house in scarborough.

    THANK YOU for all u have done in the past, and continue to do in the Name of our LORD JESUS. just wanted to drop a line to say hello, and let you know you have one more person praying for you! GB, arlene dennis

    ReplyDelete