Monday 30 June 2014

MEDICAL UPDATE
June 30, 2014
When Excellent Doesn’t Mean Excellent
and Dramatic Doesn’t Mean Dramatic

Well time for another short medical update for those of you who are following the medical aspects of the our "Unexpected Journey."      In my last report to you I told you that through the nurse the Doctor reported, " that my body is responding to the chemotherapy ‘excellently’ and that the cancer has been ‘drastically’ reduced.
 

Well, it turns out that those comments were overly optimistic.     It is true that my body has been handling the chemotherapy fairly well.     My only major side effect is a couple of days of extreme fatigue a week about 4-5 days after chemotherapy.     It’s difficult, but knowing some of the other significant side effects that I could have, I am thankful.
 
However, the idea that the cancer has been drastically reduced is very misleading.      As a layman, hearing the cancer is greatly reduced would lead one to  believe that the 6 cm tumour around the Pancreas was greatly reduced in size.     Such is not the case at all.     In fact it is pretty much the same size as when first discovered.     What was actually ‘drastically reduced’ is what they call the Tumour Markers.      These are bio-markers found in the blood that indicate the presence of cancer and its activity.      My Tumour Markers had gone from 38,000 to 22,000 which is a dramatic reduction but still indicates cancer activity in my body. 
  
On Tuesday June 17 I saw a new Doctor who went over the CT Scan report very carefully and thoroughly with me.      As it turns out, as I said the original tumour around the Pancreas hasn’t changed much in terms of size.      However, the Doctor suggest that in all likelihood the chemotherapy has prevented it from growing and so that is some good news.     In addition, the CT Scan reveals that there are over 20 confirmed or suspect cancer spots in my body including my liver, the lining of my stomach, and other places.     The situation is much more serious than what we were led to believe and needless to say I was quite unsatisfied with the Doctor who gave such a misleading report.     It was as if he didn’t believe I was intelligent enough to understand the situation.     My sense with this Doctor has been that he sees my situation as hopeless so there’s not much point investing much time or effort.      Not much of a confidence booster and I have asked not to be treated by this Doctor again.
 
In addition to this, there is some concern with something they saw on my hips and one of my vertebra.      There is fear that the cancer may have spread to these which of course would be a significant development and complication.     I am scheduled to have a ‘Bone Scan’ this Wednesday which is pretty much an all day affair.     I’ll arrive at the Hospital in the morning and expect to finish about 2-3 pm.

 
Though I continue to function (except the days of fatigue) pretty much as normal, neither I nor any one should be fooled into thinking that my situation is not extremely serious.     There is not long term hope on this earth except by the healing hand of God.     With the possible spread of cancer into the bones, your fervent prayers before God are even more important.     I have always felt that in order for God to get maximum glory in this "Unexpected Journey" then the situation has to be absolutely impossible so that there is no dispute when God moves in a miraculous way.
 
My family continues to be thankful for your continuous, fervent prayer on our behalf.




Prayer Items

  • Bone Scan on Wednesday
  • Scheduling so that we can get away for a couple of weeks vacation
  • - I’ve asked for 2 weeks off of Chemotherapy as opposed to the usual one
  • Wendy as she processes things and carries extra responsibility
  • Divine Healing - for God’s Glory

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Rick for this update. As you indicate, God is in the business of "big things" and no matter the outcome, He intend to have His name glorified through your life. Hang in there. Our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete