Monday 2 June 2014

MEDICAL UPDATE
Monday June 2, 1014
 
It has been a while since we’ve given you a Medical Update, so here it is.

The original CT Scan that was taken on Thursday February 27, 2014 and a subsequent liver biopsy revealed that there were 5 cancerous lesions on my liver and a 6 cm mass around the base of my Pancreas.       There were some other things that were inconclusive.         I was told that without chemotherapy life expectancy was 3-6 months and with chemotherapy 6-12 months. Give or take.
 
I began chemotherapy on Friday March 28.     The regiment is three weeks on and one week off.      I completed two rounds of Chemotherapy and a second CT Scan was conducted.     I had an appointment with the Medical Oncologist on Tuesday May 13, 2014 at which I was to get a report.      Unfortunately because of a backlog the CT report was not ready for that appointment.     Which really made the appointment a waste of time as that was the purpose.

 
However, we made a phone call to the Hospital on Friday May 16, 2014 and the nurse reported the Doctors observation. The Doctor reported that my body is responding to the chemotherapy "excellently" and that the cancer had been "drastically" reduced. No specifics were given as to the present size of the mass on my Pancreas.

The Doctor is anxious to get a hold of the original CT Scan done back on Thursday Feb. 27,2014 so he can compare the two.      We took a copy of that scan to the Hospital this past Friday. 
 
I will complete the third round of chemotherapy this Friday and have an appointment with the Medical Oncologist on Tuesday June 17 at which time I hope to get more details as to the size of the mass and the Doctors perception of the difference between the two CT Scans.

Please be reminded that Chemotherapy is not going to cure this.    There is no cure.    The only thing the chemo will do is give a little more time.     The real cure for this is Divine healing that only comes from our Lord. Please keep praying.

 
Day To Day Health

Some of you have been wondering about my day to day health.      I am doing remarkably well.      In fact, things are going extremely well.       Thank God that the only effects of the Chemotherapy is periods of fatigue where I just have to rest.     No vomiting, nausea, or other effects other than my hair has fallen out.        My beard got so patchy I had to shave it off after having it for nearly 30 years.        Needless to say I feel a bit naked without my hair.

I can get winded fairly easily if I exert to much physical energy but I am trying to function as normally as possible and reserve my energy for essential tasks.        I am pretty much maintaining my regular work schedule with counselling, administration, sermon preparation etc.          When I need to, I take a rest and I feel free to turn down appointments if necessary.        Everyone reminds me that I am fighting cancer and Chemotherapy and I have to look after myself.      I’m trying.

In public, other than the fact that you’d notice my hair loss, you would never know there is something wrong with me.       My preaching over the past several months I am told has been especially meaningful and powerful and I have not missed a Sunday.     There is really no need for you to treat me with kid gloves.    I try to rest when I can so that I can keep appointments.    If I'm in an appointment with you and feel tired,  I'll just excuse myself.    I am exceedingly thankful to God that I can carry on.

 
A big thanks to all of you who faithfully pray for me and my family.      There are litterally thousands of you all over the world.       Many of you I know personally and some of you I do not.        I am amazed at the prayer movement God is raising up on my behalf.        Only a healing touch from God will preserve my life that I might continue to ministry.      There is so much more I want to do and accomplish.        There are people in Cuba who long to see me and count on me to help in their ministries.       The work at Parkway Bible Church is getting exciting and I think God is up to something and I want to be part of it.

 
Prayer Request:
 
1) Sustaining grace for my family and I as we take this "Unexpected Journey."
        - We are seeking to live normal lives
2) The continued positive impact of the Chemotherapy and for good medical attention.
3) Continued ability to conduct ministry and honour God in all that we do.
4) Divine healing. That there would be, not a remission, but a complete elimination of the cancer that would bring God ultimate glory and encourage His church world wide.
 
Thank You and God Bless You.
Because of Calvary

Pastor Rick

 

 

 
 



1 comment:

  1. Thank for the complete report Rick. And thank you to God for giving some great news to you. May it be His will that He heals you completely. But no matter what, it is a joy to know you are in the Best Hands in all of history.

    ReplyDelete